Part Time Managing Director / Board Advisor / Non-Executive Director / Mentor
Big Business Experience
N Brown Group Plc
Shop Direct Group
Small Business Experience
Tom is an innovative, highly commercial Business Leader with extensive board-level experience, deep marketing, digital & eCommerce expertise and a proven track record of success in delivering high levels of revenue and EBITDA growth in corporate, mid-cap, SME and particularly Scale-up Companies.
Over 25 years in permanent & interim executive leadership, (CEO/MD/Director), consultant and board advisor roles, he has gained a reputation as a positive leader of and a collaborative, trusted partner to Management teams.
Tom has led the creation and successful delivery of turnaround, transformation and scale-up strategies across the retail, consumer, technology and business service sectors.
BSc (Hons) Industrial Engineering (First) – University of the West of Scotland
MBA – Salford Business School (University of Salford)
Key Areas of Expertise
- Strategic Business Planning
- Value Proposition Development
- Multichannel Marketing (Strategy/Planning/Execution) and ROI Optimisation
- P&L Management
- Customer Focused Decision Making
- Multichannel Retail
- Ecommerce (UK / International)
- Customer Experience Enhancement
- Digital Transformation
- Organisational Development
- M&A and Investment
- Commercial / Licensing Agreement Negotiation
- Building and Developing High-performing Teams to Deliver and Sustain Growth
Board Advisory: Insight, strategic advice and planning for a range of businesses, including:
- Leading the Board of a small, PE backed Travel Company to develop their value proposition, multichannel strategy and 3-year plan to exit.
- Advising Sonae SR on the market opportunity for international expansion, optimal ‘go to market’ plan and channel mix – leading to the formation of the Iberian Sports Retail Group in 2018.
- Commercial and operational DD for Horizon Capital’s investment in the leading Ukrainian Ecommerce retail Company. Analysts estimate: $30m-$50m for 15%.
Interim Leadership: with full P&L ownership across a range of assignments, including:
- As interim CEO, leading the Owner/Directors of a specialist online retailer from start-up. Developed the business strategy, secured funding and produced a step-change improvement in marketing, trading, Ecommerce, customer service and operational capability. Delivered triple-digit, organic Revenue/EBITDA growth for 3 consecutive years.
- As interim GM, led the full turnaround and return to profitable growth of a £50m, international, pure-play retailer’s bathroom division. This included proposition and range development for 2 ‘own-label’ brands and direct supply- chain set-up, (China), delivering a 20% point increase in GM.