City of London and Essex Region
We have more than 150 Advisors available for clients
Meet some of our Advisors local to the City of London and Essex Region below
The City of London and Essex Region
Are you looking for part-time Director level support for your business? Boardroom Advisors has a team of local advisors for businesses in the region including City of London, Essex, Chelmsford, and Colchester.
As well as the team of local advisors, Boardroom Advisors has a national team of over 150 Advisors. All of our Advisors have experience on Boards and have scaled up business before, so can provide their expertise for whatever challenges you scale-up or SME might face.
Lisa, Regional Director for Boardroom Advisors, will help connect you with the right support for your business. From Board Advisory through to CEOs with specialisations from Strategy to Sales, there’s an Advisor to suit you. You can find a full overview of our services here.
Introduction to City of London and Essex Region
City of London
- The City of London contributed around £69bn in gross value added to UK’s national income last 2018.
- City of London’s financial services contributed 7% of the UK’s gross value added (GVA) in 2018 — £135bn.
- Generating $130k in output for every job, financial Services was one of the UK’s most productive industries in 2018. 24% of the UK’s financial services GVA were accounted from the City of London.
- Almost a thousand (1000) start-ups started their business in the City of London in 2019. 47% of which are in the professional and business services and 11% of it were in the Technology services.
- 70% of City of London’s workers were employed in high skilled jobs with 39% of workers born outside the UK in 2018. Of the City’s total workforce, 61% were of UK-born, 15% came from the EEA, while 24% came from the rest of the world.
City of London is home to an estimate 10,000 residents, 68% are of working age, but 522,000 are employed in the City of London representing 10% of Greater London’s employment. 1 out of 59 Great Britain workers are employed in the City of London.
City of London, otherwise known as the Square Mile or as the “City”, is the financial and business district at the centre of London. Although the City of London falls under the jurisdiction of Greater London and the GLA, the City of London has its own government, its own independent police force and of course its own Mayor.
The core businesses in City of London includes Financial Services, Professional Services, Business Services, Technology Services and Retail, Accommodation and Food Services.
Many business start-ups choose City of London because it attracts the curious, innovative, highly international and a great pool of talent already living, working and studying in the city.
The City of London is accessible by all means of public transportation. It has a well- structured and well-planned transportation system that makes living and doing business convenient and accessible both locally and globally.
- Essex is the eight largest economy in the UK. Between 2009 and 2014, it had an average of 235 start-ups for each £1bn of GVA well ahead of UK’s average of 175 and continually rising.
- Chelmsford and Southend-on-Sea are on of the top places in Essex that continually attract start-ups and SMEs. Chelmsford, Essex’s only city and the birthplace of radio and broadcasting while Southend boasts of its award winning beaches that stretches seven miles of coastline and bond with your family with the attractions from the World famous pier.
- To continually support and drive investment, Invest ESSEX, an investment promotion agency (IPA) and business support provider which guides and support businesses, has landed 182 projects four years after March 2013.
- Essex has been ranked as the 68th best place to live across all 138 statistical regions based from the last Uswitch 2015 ranking results.
- University of Essex has been awarded University of the Year at the Times Higher Education (THE) Awards 2018.
Essex is home to at least 1.5 million residents, 79% of whom are working age. Essex is considered to be the fourth largest county economy in the South East and East Anglia.
The core businesses in Essex are distribution, transport, accommodation & food, public admin, education & health, manufacturing, real estate and business services.
Many business start-ups choose Essex because there is a great pool of talent already living, working and studying in the city.
Indulge yourself with the regions pristine coastlines, beautiful countryside, rich culture and heritage. Check out the world’s largest Turf Maze which is 800 years old and the chapel of St. Peter on the Wall (built around 660AD), which is located in Bradwell. Essex has the longest coastline in the United Kingdom which stretches 350 miles.
With its close proximity to London, travel the United Kingdom with Essex’s excellent access of the national road system, train, buses, taxis and airports.
Networking Events for MDs & CEOs
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organised events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organised events are branded TEDx, where X = independently organised TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organised.
Colchester Business Expo (Annual)
This B2B exhibition provides a platform for local businesses to showcase what they do, share local success and celebrate all that is great about business in Colchester featuring over 50 exhibitors
“FORE” Business Colchester Group (Monthly)
“FORE” Business are delighted to welcome you to our Colchester Group which is hosted at the Stoke By Nayland Golf Club, Essex. The business networking event in Colchester has been established since March 2015 and business and friendship within the group is flourishing.
The Business Woman’s Network (Monthly)
Your local Business Woman’s Network Group
Colchester Business Expo – Business Breakfast
Network with like-minded businesses with the opportunity to hear from our sponsors of the day and representatives – all whilst enjoying breakfast & refreshments.
Noah London Conference
Be part of Europe’s leading digital growth investment conference. Learn and network with 100+ of Europe’s top tech CEOs presenting on Main Stage, 80+ selected startups on “Startup Stage” and 400+ top investors and 300+ seasoned B2B digital facilitators.
The Business Show (Annual)
The Business Show, attracts 25,000 businesses looking for the expert advice & guidance to improve, evolve & expand.